As The Yarn Bowl Turns.
"A bad day woodworking is better than a good day working."
~ Author unknown
~ Author unknown
The first dimension listed is the diameter of the bowl; measured (in inches) across the center from one side to the other. Depth of the bowl is the second measurement listed, however the diameter is what usually determines the size/category of a #HeckathornYarnBowl. To keep things simple we use standard bowl measurements, while the circumference is a much more impressive figure!
We might upsize an XXL (diameter), for example, to the XXXL category if the yarn bowl is unusually deep. All dimensions are approximate as wood has a tendency to warp making the top diameter vary slightly depending on where it's measured across. The depth of our XL - Jumbo Yarn Bowls vary considerably. For that reason, depths aren't listed below; however, depths are always included on each individual listing :
• SMALL: Under 5.5" Diameter x varying depths. Bob rarely makes small yarn bowls, when he does, they're great for sock and mitten projects.
• MEDIUM: 5.5 - 6.5" diameter x 4 - 5 " +/- deep.
• LARGE: 6.5 - 8" + diameter x 5"+ deep. This is our classic "workhorse" yarn bowl; perfect for any project accommodating a single 5-7oz skein of worsted yarn, rolled into a ball ready to glide like silk making all yarn projects easier.
• XL: 8 - 10" diameter (depth varies considerably depending on style of the bowl).
• XXL: 10 - 12" diameter (depth varies considerably depending on style of the bowl).
• XXXL: 12 - 14" diameter (depth varies considerably depending on style of the bowl).
• JUMBO: 14" (plus!?) It's rare that Bob gets to turn a 14" Yarn Bowl. He would if more jumbo wood stock was available here, however, his XXXL yarn bowls are very close in size to Jumbo, and we usually have a few in both shops.
Make sure you know exactly what you're buying. A great trick is to find a glass or ceramic bowl of similar diameter/depth to be sure it will suit your needs. It's important that you know what you're getting before the bowl arrives at your door!
In order to show off the distinct features of each yarn bowl it’s necessary to “fill the frame” of each photo. These close-up, tight product shots can be deceiving. When all the sizes are grouped and viewed together on our main product pages, the smaller bowls will fill more of the frame than the larger bowls because they are not as wide; thus they appear to be much taller than the larger yarn bowls.
That is why we always include one or two images of the bowls filled with yarn and tools as a reference point. We hope this helps you choose the perfect Heckathorn Yarn Bowl for your work style.