As The Yarn Bowl Turns.
"A bad day woodworking is better than a good day working."
~ Author unknown
~ Author unknown
Recently, I was asked for the dimensions that categorize our yarn bowls. While each yarn bowl listed includes the dimensions as part of it’s description; this post should clarify the size range for the five categories offered. small, medium and large yarn bowls are all listed under the Large category, because it's rare that Bob turns small and medium yarn bowls. Bigger is better right?
The first dimension listed is the diameter of the bowl; measured (in inches) across the center of the bowl from one side to the other. Depth of the bowl is the second measurement listed, however the diameter is what actually determines the size/category of a Heckathorn Yarn Bowl.
A yarn bowl with an XXL diameter, for example, might be upgraded to an XXXL if it's extra deep. All dimensions are approximate as wood has a tendency to warp making the top diameter vary slightly depending on where it's measured across. The depth of our XL - Jumbo Yarn Bowls vary considerably. For that reason, depths aren't listed for our XL - JUMBO categories.
• SMALL: Under 5.5" Diameter x varying depths. Bob rarely makes small yarn bowls, when he does, they're great for sock and mitten projects.
• MEDIUM: 5.5 - 6.5" diameter x 4 - 5 " +/- deep.
• LARGE: 6.5 - 8" + diameter x 5"+ deep. This is our classic "workhorse" yarn bowl; perfect for any project accommodating a single 5-7oz skein of worsted yarn, rolled into a ball ready to glide like silk making all yarn projects easier.
• XL: 8 - 10" diameter (depth varies considerably depending on style of the bowl).
• XXL: 10 - 12" diameter (depth varies considerably depending on style of the bowl).
• XXXL: 12 - 14" diameter (depth varies considerably depending on style of the bowl).
• JUMBO: 14" (Plus!?) It's rare that Bob gets to turn a 14" Yarn Bowl. And, he would if more jumbo wood stock was available here. However, our XXXL yarn bowls are close in size to Jumbo, and we usually have a few in store.
Make sure you know exactly what you're buying. A great trick is to find a glass or ceramic bowl of similar diameter/depth to be sure it will suit your needs. It's important that you know what you're getting before the bowl arrives at your door!
Keep in mind that in order to show off the distinct features of each yarn bowl it’s necessary to “fill the frame” of the each photo. These close-up, tight product shots can be deceiving. When all the sizes are grouped and viewed together on our main product pages, the smaller bowls will fill more of the frame than the larger bowls because they are not as wide; thus they appear to be much taller than the larger yarn bowls.
That is why we always include one or two images of the bowls filled with yarn and tools as a reference point. We hope this helps you choose the perfect Heckathorn Yarn Bowl for your work style.